Tags: beneficial bits n' bytes, database, novelny, opposing viewpoints in context
add a comment
Opposing Viewpoints in Context is an online database covering today’s political and social issues in depth and from different perspectives. It is a great resource for students conducting research on a topic or for someone who wants an overview of a current issue in the news. This database is easy to navigate and rich in information. Opposing Viewpoints in Context is provided by the New York State Library.
- On the top center of the page there are five highlighted issues, each depicted by a photograph and a caption noting the subject. If you click on view more it will lead you to that topic’s information page.
- Underneath these pictures are issues listed in categories, view more expands these listings. If you click on the Browse Issues tab at the top of the page, there is a complete alphabetical index of topics included in the database.
- To the left of the homepage is Featured Video and Featured News clips. Many articles may be viewed by clicking on the featured newspaper title.
- There is a Basic search and Advanced search for searching a topic of interest or even a specific name, title of an article, or publication date.
- If you click on the tab marked Maps, using the picture index at the top of the page, you can select an issue by clicking on one of the thumbnail images . This section gives you statistical information, pinpointing various areas by scrolling over the map.
- Once you click on a subject, it will lead you to an informational page which provides you with a summary of that issue and a variety of resources pertaining to that topic including pro and con viewpoints, articles from varied sources, statistical data, audio and video clips and suggested websites.
Central Library Reference Department
Chemung County Library District
Wilson Biographies Plus Illustrated November 5, 2010Posted by CCLD in Reference.
Tags: biography, database, Reference, Tools, Wilson Web
add a comment
Wilson Biographies Plus Illustrated is a useful tool for beginning biographic research. This database, accessible to CCLD patrons from our website, provides full-text profiles of many famous people throughout history (including prominent individuals from today). A profile includes images as well as links to recent articles about the individual (some full-text articles are available). Additional information is often available including: awards, reviews and criticisms, and books by and about the individual.
To access this database, visit our website’s electronic databases section (located under “Reference”) and click on the link for “Wilson Biographies Plus Illustrated”. Be prepared to enter your library card number to access this tool.
Global Road Warrior October 19, 2010Posted by CCLD in Reference.
Tags: business, database, global road warrior, Reference, Tools, travel
add a comment
Global Road Warrior is a useful tool that contains profiles for 175 different countries in one convenient location. Each country profile includes cultural information as well as demographics. This tool is especially useful for people traveling for business, as it provides specific information about business culture. Other information provided is equally useful to business and non-business travelers alike, such as information pertaining to travel documents and immunizations required for entrance. Each profile contains points of interest, city views, maps, essential terms (language), transportation information, and other pertinent information for travelers. This resource is also useful for children required to research the culture of a specific country for school.
Global Road Warrior is accessible to library patrons from any computer connected to the internet. To access this database, visit the Chemung County Library District’s website, click on the link for “Reference”, “Electronic Databases”, and select “Global Road Warrior” from the list of databases. You will be asked to enter the first 5 digits of your library card number before you will be allowed access to this resource.
Reference USA Business Directory September 28, 2010Posted by CCLD in Reference.
Tags: business, database, directory, education, Reference, Tools
Reference USA Business Directory is a database of businesses across the United States. If you need to find information about a specific company, Reference USA Business Directory is a convenient, up-to-date tool. For example, if you want to find out the name and contact information for a company president or manager, you can use this resource to search by company name or product (to narrow your results, you can also enter a location). Similarly, if you know the name of a company executive but do not know the precise name of the company, you can search by executive name; you can also search by company phone number.
Company listings include information such as: business demographics, management directory, nearby businesses, stock data, historical data, competitors report, and more. There is also the option to display a “corporate tree” that allows you to view the hierarchical relationships within the corporation; if viewing a local subsidiary, you can see where it falls within the overall corporation.
This resource includes quick and custom search options. Custom search allows you to search more specifically. For example, you can limit your search by the gender of the company executive, the number of employees, the street address, etc. On the results page, there is a button labeled “map” that will allow you to view the company locations on an adjustable map (you can zoom in and out and choose between different views).
To access this tool, visit the electronic databases page on our website: http://www.ccld.lib.ny.us/db.htm and select “Reference USA Business Directory” from the list.